Picture Title

Smokey Mountain National Park, Newfound Gap

Number of Visitors

Monday, June 21, 2010

Maiden Voyage of the Roan

Well we made our first camping trip. We both came back alive.

We went to a camp site about 1.5 hours from Amityville, where we keep the RV. It is on the north fork of Long Island in a town called Greenport. The camp site is Eastern Long Island Kampgrounds. We stayed only one night but had a great time.

All the practice paid off. The site was in a open area so it was easy, for me anyway, to back in.

IMG_0672 IMG_0695

The two of us are getting to be a real team with setting up and breaking camp. After getting the coach into the right position we unhitched the truck, deployed the automatic levelers, connected the electric, water and sewer hoses.

After connecting the water I noticed that the city water pressure at the faucet seemed low. I check the pressure gauge on the water regulator and saw it was 0, which could not be because there was some water flowing. I replace one of the water filters cartridges and the flow improved, but still seemed a little slow. Without knowing what the pressure at the source is, it is hard to know where the problem lies. It was good enough for the one day we were going to be there.

I sent up the Satellite dish and it locked onto the three satellites it is supposed to. I turned on the satellite box and the TV. It scanned for the satellites and downloaded the programming guide, but kept on trying to lock onto the satellites. So no TV, OMG. To be fixed when I get back.

Next I setup the WiFi hotspot to connect to the internet through their WiFi system. The reason I did this is two fold. One, My WiFi system has a high gain antenna on it to bring in weak or intermittent signals from the local system. Second, my system has it’s own router and firewall for extra security.

We then setup inside the coach.

IMG_0664 IMG_0667

I helped too, but someone had to take the pictures. ( I didn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea.)

We then relaxed outside for a little while under the awning. I relaxed too, but someone had to take the pictures. ( I didn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea.)

IMG_0671

We took a ride around the area. We wanted to check out the area, there are a lot of wineries and farm stands in the area. We found a place that had both.

IMG_0675 IMG_0676 IMG_0677 IMG_0678

We bought two bottles of Chardonnay. One to have with dinner and one to bring home.

There is something that I have to tell you about Ann that no one knows except me, I know, no one who reads this will tell anyone. Ann has this “thing “ for Carousels, whenever she sees one or hears about one she has to go on it. No matter the cost or where in the world it is (she has ridden carousels in France; Washington, DC; NY). Well, she read that there is a Carousel in the town of Greenport, so we had to go and find it. After some time looking we finally found it. It is housed in it’s own building in a beautiful park on the waters edge.

IMG_0682 IMG_0684 IMG_0688

See Ann’s new hat.

When we got back to the campsite it was time for supper. I setup the new propane grill, sorry I forgot to take a picture. While Ann baked a potatoe in the microwave. I made a nice London Broil and we ate dinner under the awning at the picnic table, with the bottle of wine of course.

After dinner we walked around the campsite for a while and decided to just go inside and relax because it was getting a bit cool.

IMG_0692

I relaxed too, but someone had to take the pictures. ( I didn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea.)

The next day, after breakfast we disconnected everything dumped the tanks hitched up and brought Roan IV back to Amityville.

To be continued…….

No comments:

Post a Comment