Picture Title

Smokey Mountain National Park, Newfound Gap

Number of Visitors

Thursday, May 19, 2011

We are Back (Flushing-NY)

 

We are home, well we are in our house in Flushing.  Our home is parked temporarily in Amityville.

Tuesday night we stayed in a Flying J Truck stop.  Now there are Plusses and Minuses to staying at a truck stop.

Plus:  Its Free, Nothing, Nada, does not cost a penny.  That is if you don’t buy any fuel or food there.

Minus: Trucks make noise, A LOT of NOISE.  Especially when they are refrigerated trucks that have a diesel engine to power the refrigeration unit. The units are on 24/7.  What is worse is when they park right next to you and doesn’t leave until 1 AM. But I am not complaining.  After all it is FREE.  I guess the adage is true: “there is no such thing as a free lunch”.

We got up at 6 AM, after finally falling asleep around 1 AM.  Ate breakfast at Denny’s, which is part of the truck stop and left.

We got on the NJ Turnpike and headed north to the Big Apple.  We exited at exit #13 and took the Goethals Bridge, crossed Staten Island.  We waved to Helen and Stu as we crossed Staten Island.  Went over the Verrazano Bridge, up the BQE to I-495.  I must say NYC has some of the worst roads we have seen in a month of travels.

When we got onto the LIE, (that’s I-495 for all of you non New Yorkers), other drivers began pointing to the roof of the RV.  I finally pulled over to the service road at the Main Street exit.  I climbed up the the roof and found that one of the solar panels had broken loose and flipped over onto another panel and breaking it.  Now what to do, so close to home?  Of coarse,  I called Ralph.  I told him what happened and said I would drive to the house, or as close as I could park and call him back.

Luckily, by the grace of God, there was a spot right in front of the house.

P1010522P1010525

If you click on the picture to enlarge it you can see Ralph and I on the roof.

                                  Pictures by Ann

So while we remounted the solar panels, Ann unpacked the RV thereby saving many trips to Amityville where the RV will be stored.

A great big Thanks to Ralph.

I have emailed the factory, where the solar array was installed to see if they will at least cover the cost of replacing the broken solar panel.

Se here we are in Flushing.  Going to doctors, getting the house ready to sell and planning the next trip.  Maybe up through Maine and the Canadian Maritime Provinces. 

To Be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment