Picture Title

Smokey Mountain National Park, Newfound Gap

Number of Visitors

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Rain Day on the Road (Jamesville, WI)

 

Right now it is raining and we are in a truck stop in Jamesville, WI. We are now on Central time.  We pulled in last night after stopping at Walmart to pick up something for dinner.  We wanted to stay at Walmart (which is RV friendly), but the town does not allow overnight parking.  So here we are tucked between the big boys at a TA truck stop.

Truck stop in Janesvile WI (3 of 4)

Getting here we almost ran out of fuel.  Because of the auxiliary fuel tank, it can be hard to determine, when the auxiliary tank is empty.  I am going to have to work on than.  We were on I-90 going through Chicago when I noticed that the main tank was not being refueled from the auxiliary tank.  Now what.  Ann checked her trusty Next Exit book and found a truck stop about 50 miles away.  OK we should be able to make that.  Now stuck in traffic I head a “Ding”,  50 miles to empty came up on the display.  That would be cutting it TOO close.  So I got out my trusty smart phone and brought up the“Gas Buddy” app.  It said there was a couple of stations within 2 miles. Great, so we got off the next exit turned left and directly ahead was an underpass 12’ 3”, we need 13’ 3”.  After going along the streets, camper in tow, I finally found an under pass 13’ 4”,  I went very slowly in through with no problems.  Just after the underpass was the service station but there was no way I could get in with the truck and camper.  So I tuned the corner found a large open parking space.  Dropped the camper, left Ann in the camper to stand guard and off I went in search of fuel.  Luckily the service station was right around the corner and it was a good price.  I filled up both tanks.  Now $288 poorer, I had two full tanks.  Went back to the camper, hitched up and back onto I-90 north. 

We were going to pull out this morning, but last night is started to rain heavy and it is stll raining.  It is supposed to stop late this morning.  If it does we will get back on the road.

Right now the generator is recharging the batteries and giving us power.  We have internet, satellite, heat, food.  I am here with my best friend.  We just celebrated our 46th anniversary.  Life could not get better than this.

See you down the Roan Roan…

,

1 comment: