Picture Title

Smokey Mountain National Park, Newfound Gap

Number of Visitors

Thursday, May 16, 2013

But it is a Dry Heat, YEAH RIGHT !! (Bolder City, NV–103F)

 

Temp rising. 

 

Lake Mead (11 of 11)

That’s the outside temperature of the truck

We are staying in the Elks Lodge in Bolder City.  We joined the Elks Lodge two years ago when we were in Gillette for the Escapees Escapade.  BTW we are going back there this year at the end of June.  We really like it here in Bolder City.  Great neighbors and a nice little campground.  It is close to Las Vegas and the Hoover Dam. 

At the urging of Brad and Jane, neighbors of my brother Vic, we decided to do the full tour of the dam.  We got up early to make it to the visitors center early.  After going through a truck security check point where they asked me to open the bed of the truck.

The first parking area, which is a covered area and changes $7 we passed up because I wasn’t sure I would clear the roof of the truck.  This area was next to the visitor’s center.  We proceeded over the Dam to the RV parking.  This meant walking back over the Dam to get to the Visitor’s center to buy the tickets. 

Temp rising. 

We walked back over the dam to get to the visitor’s center.  All the time I was taking pictures.  When I tried to get into the visitor’s center there was anther security check.  This time it was like going to the airport.  I had a Leatherman tool which had among other things a 1.5 in knife, that Heidi gave to me.  You guessed it, you cannot bring such a lethal  weapon into  this secure place.   So I would have to leave it in the car. This meant waking back across the Dam again!

Temp rising,

I told Ann to get the tickets and I would walk back to the truck to leave my lethal weapon in the truck.  When I got out side it was HOT and I was HOT.  Ann called me, “don’t rush, the elevators are broken and there are no extended tours today.”  OK, on to plan “B”.  That what is so great with our life style, we are flexible. Ann got the number to call to know when the elevator was working and the inside info on getting to the visitor's center early to get the tickets. The trouble was, after calling many times.  No one ever picked up the phone.

The plan now is to drive around the Dam and take a drive up along Lake Mead and tour “The Valley of Fire” state park.  So now it is 102 F.  It is hot, it is F@#K’n Hot.  Thank you Willis Carrier, the inventor of A/C.

We drove up the Shore Road along Lake Mead.  Lake Mead was created when Hoover Dam was built. 

Next we went to the Nevada’s first State Park,” Valley of Fire”.

Now we are back in our RV, both A/Cs running and it is OK.

Tomorrow, Friday, we will try the Hoover Dam tour again. 

Happy First Anniversary to Heidi and Jay.

On May 23rd we will celebrate 1 year of full time RVing and on May 29th we will celebrate our 47th wedding anniversary.

Life is Great on the Roan Road…

No comments:

Post a Comment